[tlhIngan Hol] Saruman and Lurtz

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Aug 23 10:35:53 PDT 2016

On 8/23/2016 11:56 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> SuStel:
>> That's your error. During the "once," they were still
>> elves. When it was "once," being elves wasn't completed.
> hmm.. Perhaps I'm beginning to understand. So you're saying that the
> event, which is described by the aspect suffix {-pu'} must :
>
> 1. be completed
> 2. have stopped being in effect
>
> right ?

No, it needs to be completed by the action to which the verb the suffix
is attached to refers. If that very verb doesn't describe the completion
of the action, then the completion suffix isn't appropriate.

Suppose I was an elf yesterday and I'm an orc today.

    *wa'Hu' */elf/*jIH
    */I was an elf yesterday.
    /During yesterday, I was being an elf. I didn't complete being an
    elf during yesterday. I completed being an elf /after/ yesterday,
    but I didn't say *DorDI' wa'Hu',* I said *wa'Hu'. *So being an elf
    was completed, but it wasn't completed during /yesterday./

    *wa'Hu'*/elf/*jIHpu'
    */I was (and completed being) an elf yesterday.
    /During yesterday, I was and elf and then my being an elf was
    complete. I stopped being an elf during yesterday, though I had been
    one before that.