[tlhIngan Hol] qep'a' cha'maH wej mu' chu' - New Words

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Thu Aug 18 06:32:35 PDT 2016

On 8/18/2016 4:12 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> So, the way I *feel* this whole subject, is that the qep'a' new word,
> was actually only {chum} ;
>
> I just can't realize why at the qep'a' it was combined with {jajlo'}
> and {tlhom}, in order to express the "colorful" element.

/Dawn/ and /sunrise/ are not the same thing. Dawn is when the sky starts
to brighten; sunrise is when the sun first appears over the horizon. The
sky brightens before the sun appears.

Likewise, /dusk/ and /sunset/ are not the same. Sunset is when the sun
disappears below the horizon; dusk is the period of not-quite-darkness
after the sun disappears.

*jajlo'* /dawn
/*jajlo' chum* /sunrise
/*tlhom*/dusk
/*tlhom chum*/sunset/

These phrases seem backward to me, and I share your confusion. What is
colorful about a sunrise that is not colorful about dawn?