[tlhIngan Hol] When better is missing go with preferable

David Holt kenjutsuka at live.com
Mon Aug 22 16:30:50 PDT 2016

jatlh mayqel qunenoS:

> I was trying to find a way to express "better" by using a single word;
> not through the use of suffixes and context, or the {law'/puS}
> construction.
>
> for example "my phone is better" ; not "my phone is better than yours".

I have to admit that I don't think I understand what you mean by, "my phone is better".  "Better" is a comparative.  It has to compare at least two things.  If you said that to me, I would probably say, "Better than what?"  Perhaps some context would help.  If I was talking a lot about how great my phone was and you said, "My phone is better," I think we could all assume that you meant, "My phone is better than your phone."  Fortunately, Klingon DOES allow us to say that, we just can't leave off the second half to be assumed, we must state it explicitly and fully.  I can't imagine any situation where "better" does not at least assume a second thing for comparison.  Please give me a more complete example with full context.

Jeremy