[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon food words

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Mar 5 08:42:28 PST 2024

On 3/5/2024 11:30 AM, Klingon Word via tlhIngan-Hol wrote:
> I've been sending Klingon Words of the Day, have they not been getting
> through?

He means nobody non-automated has been posting.

> We got {ra'taj} in KGT: https://hol.kag.org/a/ra%2527taj?o=DevwI3603

But ra'taj is coffee that has had some kind of alcohol added to it,
while raktajino is "raktaj" (ra'taj without alcohol) with cream added.
It doesn't get a Klingon word because it's not a Klingon food: raktaj
and raktajino are borrowed from Klingon culture.

And all this is after the fact that ra'taj itself is made from a
Klingon-style preparation of coffee, which itself comes from Earth.

So the progress of this is:

coffee (Earth) --> qa'vIn (Klingon) --> ra'taj (Klingon) --> raktaj
(galaxy) --> raktajino (galaxy)

If "Trials and Tribble-ations" is to be believed, this complete line of
borrowing happened only as late as the 23rd century, some time before
the events of "The Trouble with Tribbles."