[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lojban Hol

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sun Jun 2 08:48:39 PDT 2024

nuqDaq Da lojbanngan? yuQ ‘oH’a’ lojban’e’? wo’ ‘oH’a’ lojban’e’? nugh ‘oH’a’ lojban’e’?

Basically, my issue is that while in English, we can say “Lojban is a language,” and we’re done; nothing else is implied, in Klingon, by referring to {lojban Hol}, we imply that there are other things shared by Lojbanians, since it is the language of the Lojbanians, who apparently got their name from something other than their shared language.

In other words, if {lojban Hol} is a meaningful phrase, what does {lojban} mean?

By convention, Klingon doesn’t give us the means to name a language without implying that the language belongs to a planet, an empire, or a people. The language is a thing that an identifiable people use to communicate.

Ironically, the Klingon language forces itself to remain fictional because it identifies itself as the language of a fictional race, and you can’t, in Klingon, refer to itself as a language spoken by humans to communicate with other humans, without forcing them to refer to the fictional race that owns the language.

There are no artificial languages the ST Universe. There aren’t even any meaningfully direct references to computer programming languages, beyond the extremely oblique “It does not compute,” or Data going on about what he is or is not “programmed” to do. For all we know, in the Star Trek Universe, they’ve moved on to programming through tools other than language-based code. It has crossed the threshold between technology and magic.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)