[tlhIngan Hol] qep'a' wejmaH wa'DIch mu' chu'

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Jul 29 13:08:16 PDT 2024

> So what's the difference between mI' mergh

> complex number and mI' rorgh imaginary number?

Assuming that the difference is the same as in English (and other languages with roughly the same terminology):

A complex number is a number that has a real component and an imaginary component.

  *   Real numbers are complex numbers with an imaginary component of 0. For example, 5 = 5+0i.

  *   Imaginary numbers are complex numbers with a a real component of 0. For example, sqrt(-1) = i = 0 + 1i.
  *   0 is usually considered both real and imaginary; it makes life easier if both the real and imaginary number lines are contiguous.

You can think of it as a two-dimensional number plane, but with some special calculation rules (i.e. (a+bi)^2 = a^2 -b^2 + 2abi) that make it different from, say, R^2 (the real coordinate plane).

This interpretation also makes sense when you consider the meaning of {mergh}, "to be combined".

//loghaD