[tlhIngan Hol] muvtay

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jul 25 07:10:40 PDT 2024

According to my notes, TKD just has "initiation".  "Initiation rite" comes from KGT :

(KGT 182):  One type of occasion on which ritualized speech is heard is the induction ceremony or initiation rite ({muvtay}). For example, in the ceremony to induct new members into the Order of the Bat'leth ({betleH 'obe'}), the highest honor that the government bestows on a Klingon, the presiding official, usually the leader of the Klingon High Council, first reads a name from the {naD tetlh} (Commendation List), always calling out the inductee's name in the most formal way (given name plus father's name, such as {tI'vIS barot puqloD} [T'vis, son of Barot]).

--
Voragh
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons