[tlhIngan Hol] baS 'In

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 09:01:26 PST 2024

On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 1:47 AM Lieven L. Litaer via tlhIngan-Hol <
tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:

> I am not sure how to explain that in English or Klingon grammar terms,
> but I have a feeling that there are two kinds of noun noun construction,
> even thoug they are both declared a genitive: One is like a way to
> decribe the sort of a thing, the other is a possessive contstruction.

Someone on the mailing list (I think SuStel) once phrased the broad meaning
of the N1 N2 construction (and the genitive in general) as "the type of N2
that has something to do with N1". Often this relationship is one of
possession, but it could also be composition (*baS 'In* "a bell made of
metal"), origin (*burgh quD* "quD from a stomach"), purpose (*ghItlh raS*
"table for manuscripts, i.e. desk"), some kind of association or
combination (*ghav 'uSqan* "iron that is combined with carbon, i.e.
steel"), and so on.