[tlhIngan Hol] baS 'In

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sun Jan 28 01:46:40 PST 2024

On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 8:56 AM Lieven L. Litaer via tlhIngan-Hol <
tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:

> Hello -
> has it anywhere ever been explained, how words like {baS 'In} work
> grammtically ? Is it a classic noun-noun-construction as in chapter 3.4
> of TKD? If so, what would be a literal translation, I mean more literal
> than "metal bell" - would you read it as "a bell made of metal"? It is a
> genitive contruction? It can't be the "bell of the metal", can it?

It seems like a fairly straightforward case of a noun-noun construction,
with the first noun here {baS} "metal" being an attributive noun modifying
the second noun {'In} "percussion instrument".

What could be more literal than "metal bell" (assuming {'In} is translated
as "bell" rather than the more general "percussion instrument")? A "bell of
metal" would also be an acceptable translation.

See:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Noun_adjunct

For the analog in German:
https://learngerman.dw.com/en/attributive-genitives/l-60814008/gr-61076479