[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: ngup

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 22 07:27:00 PST 2024

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, January 22, 2024

Klingon word: ngup
Part of speech: noun
Definition: cape (clothing)
Source: KGT

AFAIK not used in a sentence.

TREK NOTES:
  The official leader of the Klingon High Council typically wears an elaborate ceremonial cape studded with medals and decorations. (TNG "Reunion", "Redemption I-II", et al.)

  After killing Gowron in a duel someone put the Chancellor’s gold-trimmed, medel-bedecked cloak on Worf who immediately took it off and put it on Martok proclaiming, “Hail Martok, leader of the Empire!” (DS9 “Tacking Into the Wind”)

  The {ruStay} (*R'uustai* or bonding ritual) involves the lighting of ceremonial candles and the wearing of a warrior's sash over a ceremonial cape. (TNG "The Bonding")

SEE:
ngup  		authority,  power,  one in authority,  one in charge,
		the power structure (slang) (n)

(KGT 157):  Literally meaning cape, this slang term is an example of metonymy, whereby one word (or phrase) stands for another with which it is associated. In this case, the leader of the Klingon High Council typically wears a ceremonial cape. The slang sense of {ngup} does not refer only to this position on the High Council, however, but to anyone in power or even to "the power structure." Someone unsatisfied with the status quo, a rebel, might be said to want to {ngup qaD} (challenge those in charge; literally, "challenge the cape"). Nonslang equivalents of {ngup} are {woQ} (authority, political power) and {qum} (government).

ngup'a'  	Dominion (GN) (MKE)

SEE ALSO:
paH 		gown (n)
yIvbeH 		tunic (n)
mop 		robe (n)
wep 		jacket, coat  (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey