[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Huv

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 22 07:22:23 PST 2024

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, January 20, 2024

Klingon word: Huv
Part of speech: verb
Definition: be clear, be not obstructed

wa’Hu’ jul So’mo’ ‘eng…
Because it was (pretty) cloudy yesterday…
(lit. “Because yesterday clouds hid the sun…”) (qep’a’ 2016)

wa’Hu’ jul tlhoDmoHmo’ ‘eng…
Because it was (sort of) cloudy yesterday…
(lit. “Because yesterday clouds somewhat obscured the sun…”) (qep’a’ 2016)

CULTURE NOTES:
  Cf. John Ford's Klingon proverb: "If there are gods, they do not help, and justice belongs to the strong: but know that all things done before the naked stars are remembered." (The Final Reflection [1984], p. 23 et passim)

Someone on the List once translated "the naked stars" as *{Hovmey Huv} [source?].

SEE:
Huv  		be excellent (slang) (v)

(KGT 159-61):  The slang usage of {qu'} is currently extremely common among Klingons, and it has pretty much displaced another slang term with the same set of meanings (excellent, wonderful, etc.), {Huv} (literally, "be clear, not obstructed"), which was in vogue not all that long ago. The use of {Huv} for excellent is now considered old-fashioned.

SEE ALSO:
Dem 		be clear, transparent, uncolored (v)
poS 		be open (v)
waQ 		obstruct (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey