[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'opuHwI'

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Sat Jan 13 19:42:53 PST 2024

For that matter, {‘opuH} is somewhat uncommon in terms of phonemes, in that the {-opu-} would more commonly be {‘o’pu-} or {‘op’u}. The syllable division in Klingon is usually between two consonants. So, is this {‘op-uH}, or is it {‘o-puH}? Where do you divide the syllables? It’s like the {p} is the syllable boundary, making it somehow not quite belong to either syllable.

I’m don't feel sure I really know how to pronounce this simple word.

Likely, it’s {‘op-uH} patterned after the one most common syllable that lacks the usual consonant: {-oy} as in {SoSoy} and {vavoy}, which one knows to be pronounced with the syllable breaks at {SoS-oy} and {vav-oy}…

Unless it’s more like the prefixes…

Yep. I’m not sure where the syllable division is here.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)