[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'opuHwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 12 09:40:49 PST 2024

Has {wI’} ever been used as a sort of noun morpheme, i.e. NOT as the suffix {-wI'} “one who is/does, thing which does”?  We have a few examples of what appear to be other verb suffixes used as morphemes, e.g. :

   (-DI'                   as soon as, when [V9])
HanDI'                  cell (n)
nguSDI'                motor (n)

   (-lI'                     in progress [V7])
beylI'                    bank (n)
DoylI’                   cart (n)
HablI'                   data transceiving device (n)
    (more likely related to the verb {lI'} “transmit data (to a place)”)
nebeylI’               sarcophagus (fancy) (n)

   (-ta'                   accomplished, done [V7])
jonta'                   engine (n)
lIngta'                  *lingta* (type of animal) (n) [regional?]
mIqta'                  machinery (n)
qoSta'                  ribbon, tape (n)

I looked through my notes but there are too many to search quickly.

--
Voragh

From: ghunchu'wI' 'utlh via tlhIngan-Hol
Subject: Re: [tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'opuHwI'