[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: marwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 11 07:55:04 PST 2024

Klingon word: marwI'
Part of speech: noun
Definition: big toe, first toe
Source: HQ:v10n2p10

AFAIK not used in a sentence.

PUN:
"This little piggy went to MARket" and "cried 'wee, wee, wee' all the way home"!

SEE:
mar  		use the big toe (toe verb)
  -  nujDajDaq mar'egh ghu
     the baby sucks its big toe. (HQ 10.2)

SEE ALSO:
qam 		foot (n)
mov 		top of foot (n)
bem 		sole (of foot) (n)
lem 		hoof (n)

yaD  		toe (n)
  -  nItlhDu' yaDDu' je
     ["Fingers and toes"] (HQ 10.2:7)
  -  vaDjaj yaDDu'lIj
     may your toes be flexible ("apparently a wish for good
     fortune, or something of the sort.") (HQ 10.2:11)

(HQ 10.2:10):  A foot has {vagh yaDDu'} "five toes", and each toe has two words, a noun and a verb, associated with it. Klingon toes have more dexterity than human toes, though not as much as Klingon or human fingers. To a degree surprising to humans, Klingons can control each toe independently […] The verbs are used in the same way the finger verbs are used, though, except for when talking about martial arts movements and certain positions in Klingon classical ballet (never performed with shoes or boots), the verbs are not heard very often and are, in fact, considered archaic.

FYI:  The toe verbs/names are: {mar/marwI'} big toe,  {Hom/HomwI'} second toe,  {roS/roSwI'} third toe,  {nan/nanwI'} fourth toe,  and {Qay'/Qay'wI'} little toe.

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey