[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qoch

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Jan 9 07:49:30 PST 2024

Klingon word: qoch
Part of speech: noun
Definition: partner

juSmeH qochpu'chaj
   jachtaHvIS je chal luSIch beychaj
   'ej Qo'noS yav luQommoH
They too started to shout to the heavens
   For the passage of their comrades,
   Their howls made Kronos's soil tremble.   [PB]

(KGT 202):  The word {maqoch} itself may derive from {may' qoch} (literally, "battle partner"), so perhaps it originally meant something like war buddy.

 (Lieven interviews Okrand, 3/22/2021):
LLL:   "partner" - Can {qoch} really work as a "business partner"?
          It sounds weird to me.
MO:  Thinking like a Klingon, will making use of {boq} ("alliance,
          coalition" / "ally with") work?

(De'vID < MO, 1/22/2019):  {qoch} is not the word for partner when referring to socks and gloves and the like.  The word for that is {nelwI'}.

N.B. Do not confuse with the verb {qoch} "squeeze into (a space)".

SEE ALSO:
maqoch 	buddy, pal (close male friend of a male) (n)
chaj  		close female friend of a female (n)

jup 		friend (n)
jupna' 		true friend (n)
tuqnIgh 	member of one's house (n)
vIlle' 		follower, disciple, fan, admirer, minion (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey