[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'opuHwI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jan 3 08:02:59 PST 2024

Klingon Word of the Day for Tuesday, January 02, 2024

Klingon word: 'opuHwI'
Part of speech: noun
Definition: prostitute
Source: qep'a' 26 [2019]

(qep’a’ 2019):  A slang term is {qItoy}.

Is there a pun here?  I don't see one.

SEE ALSO:
lIwnal 		concubine (n) [Hamletmachine]
  - (Okrand to Lieven, 11/2019):  Maltz thought the best word for this might be {lIwnal}, though maybe not: the cultural connotations are a bit different since, in Klingon culture, everything associated with a {lIwnal} lacks honor, and this is not necessarily the case for a (Terran) king's concubines or courtesans. Note that only married people could have a partner who could be considered a {lIwnal}. Also, {lIwnal} could be male or female, so if it's necessary to distinguish, say {loD lIwnal} or {be' lIwnal}.

Compare to  {’Ipnal} "spouse", another marriage-related gender-neutral noun.

bang		love (i.e. one who is loved, beloved one) (n)
parmaqqay  	romantic companion/partner (n)
*parmaq be' 	harlot (n) [GILGAMESH]

TREK NOTES:
  Gowron is about to be installed as the head of High Council, but in the last moment a challenger appears: Toral, very young, claiming to be the son of Duras, followed by Lursa and B'Etor.  Gowron is not pleased.  "This is outrageous! Duras had no mate.  Where did you find him, Lursa? In a harlot's bed chamber?" Toral steps forward ans sneers, "I will personally cut your tongue out, *Yintagh*!"  [TNG "Redemption I"]

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey