[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: qup

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 13 07:09:01 PST 2024

Klingon word: 	qup
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	elder

chay' 'etlh DoQ nuch
   QongtaHbogh qup 'etlh nIH
How does a coward claim a sword?
   By taking it from his sleeping father. (PB)

ghaH rI' 'ej quvmoH qanra' qamchIy qup'a'
He is welcomed by Kahnrah, patriarch of Qam-Chee. (PB)

CULTURAL NOTES:
(KGT 133):  Klingons revere their ancestors, respect their elders, and have unparalleled veneration for heritage.

(KGT 133):  Younger Klingons, while accepting their heritage and observing the ancient rites, see some aspects of their elders' behavior and beliefs as, if not obsolete, then just old-fashioned.

(KGT 35):  Younger Klingons describe some of the vocabulary used by their elders as {mu'mey Doy'} ("tired words")…

PUN:  {puq} "child" backwards

SEE:
qup'a'  		patriarch (n)
quprIp  		Council of Elders (N)

SEE ALSO:
qan 		be old (not young) (v)

qempa'		ancestor (singular) (n)
no'  		ancestors (plural) (n)

'emrIgh 	ancestor (direct) (n)
nortlham 	descendant (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey