[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: moqlam

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 12 07:08:42 PST 2024

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, February 10, 2024

Klingon word: moqlam
Part of speech: noun
Definition: feldspar
Source: qep'a' 30 [2023]

AFAIK not used in a sentence.

PUN:
“Craig Feldspar was a character on [the US coming-of-age T.V. series] 'Malcolm in the Middle'.” (James Landau, 8/12/2023)

According to Google:
   Feldspar is the name given to a group of naturally occurring alumino-silicate minerals containing varying amounts of potassium, sodium, calcium, and/or lithium. The feldspar group of minerals is by far the most abundant group of minerals in the Earth's crust, making up about 50% of all rocks.  Most of the products we use on a daily basis are made with feldspar: glass for drinking, glass for protection, fiberglass for insulation, the floor tiles and shower basins in our bathrooms, and the tableware from which we eat.

Cf. https://www.imerys.com/minerals/feldspar for more information.

Obligatory Trek reference:
   Since it's a "naturally occurring alumino-silicate mineral" I 'd imagine feldspar is used in the production of the ceramic known as "transparent aluminum", otherwise known as aluminium oxynitride (De’vID).  The windows of the Enterprise-D are made of transparent aluminum (TNG "In Theory").

SEE ALSO:
tlhIl  		mineral (n)
bettI’ 		aluminum (n)
Santlhar 	silicon (n)
Dem 		be clear, transparent, uncolored (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey