[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DIl

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Feb 1 07:37:59 PST 2024

Klingon word: DIl
Part of speech: verb
Definition: pay for
Source: TKD

DaH yIDIl
Pay now! (TKD)

Dochvetlh DIlmeH Huch 'ar DaneH
How much do you want for that? {TKD)

bIDIlbe'chugh vaj bIHegh
Pay or die! (TKD)

Soj yIDIl!
Pay for the food! (KGT)

vergh 'ach DIlnISbe'
Free parking. (MKE)

HoSHal ghajchugh vay', mI' naghmey tIronmoH. wa'maHlogh boq'egh mI' naghmey; chen qav'ap. ghajwI'vaD qav'ap yIDIl.
If [energy source is] owned, throw dice and pay owner a total ten times amount shown. (MKE)

Duj ghajchugh vay', cha'logh boq'egh qav'ap motlh; chen qav'ap le'. ghajwI'vaD qav'ap le' yIDIl.
If [ship is] owned, pay owner twice the rental to which they are otherwise entitled. (MKE)

qaStaHvIS 17 DIS chenmoHlu’ 800,000 repmey lunatlhlu’ 450 morgh men velqa’ ‘oH DIlmeH 21 ‘uy’ ‘ewro lunatlhlu’
In 17 years and more than 800 hours of work on 1500 square meters a miniature world of superlatives was created that cost over 21 million euros to build. (Miniature Wunderland)

qav'ap DIlmeH beylI' mabwIj ghunlu'ta'
My bank account has been programmed to pay the fee.
My bank pays the fee automatically.
I pay the fee automatically. (qepHom 2021 p.14)

SEE ALSO:
 je' 		buy, purchase (v)
ngIp 		borrow, hire [or rent?] (v)
ngev 		sell (v)
tlhong 		barter, bargain (v)
mech 		trade (v)
nob 		give (v)
ghaq 		contribute (v)
rup 		fine, tax (v)
wel 		owe (v)

Huch 		money (n)
Huch chaw'  	credit card (n)
Huch jengva’  	coin (sg. n)
Huch ngop  	coins (pl. n)
Huch nav  	bill (i.e. paper currency) (n)
HuchQeD  	economics (n)

ghogh'ot 	bill, payment request (n)
ghunta 		check, promissory note, IOU (n)
qav'ap 		sum/amount (of money), value, rent (n)

malja' Huq 	transact business (n)

TREK NOTES:
  “Now, the third Rule [of Acquisition] clearly states, 'Never spend more for an acquisition than you have to'.” (Quark to Sakonna, DS9 “The Maquis, Part 2”)

MISCELLANEOUS:
"So long as the bosses pretend to pay us, we will pretend to work." (Soviet joke)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey