[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DenIbya'ngan

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 28 07:19:48 PDT 2023

Klingon word: DenIbya'ngan
Part of speech: noun
Definition: Denebian
Source: TKD:E-K

(KGT 141-2):  Occasionally, and no doubt owing to influence from Federation Standard, from which names, as noted, are often taken, an extra syllable, {-ya'-}, comes between the planet name and {ngan}. Thus, Denebian -- that is, an inhabitant of one of the Deneb planets -- is both {DenIbngan} and {DenIbya'ngan}. The planet name itself is also heard in two forms: {DenIb} (formed from the name Deneb) and {DenIbya'} (formed by dropping the {ngan} from {DenIbya'ngan}).

(KGT 141-2):  The planet name itself is also heard in two forms: {DenIb} (formed from the name Deneb) and {DenIbya'} (formed by dropping the {ngan} from {DenIbya'ngan}). The syllable {ya'} seems to be used as if it were a suffix meaning place name.

(Lieven < MO, 12/11/2018):  Actually, In TKD, {DenIb} and {DenIbya'} are both glossed Denebia. But that's an error.  The planet name in English is Deneb, not Denebia. But this coming-and-going {-ya'} thing crept its way into the English side of the dictionary somehow. {HIvqa' veqlargh!}  The Klingon, however, is correct: there are two versions of this name.

  The star is also known as Alpha Cygni; the home planet of the Denebians is specifically Deneb V (cf. http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Deneb_V )

SEE ALSO:
DenIb Qatlh  	    Denebian slime devil (TKD K->E)
DenIbya' Qatlh  	    Denebian slime devil (TKD E->K & SAREK)

TREK NOTES:
MUDD:   Do know what the penalty for fraud is on Deneb Five?
SPOCK: 	  The guilty party has his choice: death by electrocution,
                 death by gas, death by phaser, death by hanging.
MUDD:   The key word in your entire peroration, Mister Spock,
                 was “death”. [TOS “I, Mudd”]

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey