[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: barat

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Wed Sep 27 09:17:00 PDT 2023

Technically, it’s a transliteration from the dominant language of the people within the named nation (which has many languages). The only reason that English… ahem… Federation Standard speakers don’t commonly recognize this is that we don’t speak that language. Except for Klingon vocabulary, the Star Trek Universe seems to have forgotten that everybody on Earth doesn’t speak English.

The weird part of this is that the Star Trek Universe doesn’t recognize that different languages exist, except when it does, and that we’ve all learned so much about the only real exception developed to a vocabulary of over 5,000 words, with affixes expanding the scope of meaning to an equivalent of a much larger vocabulary.

Offering a memory aid for this vocabulary is independent of describing the nature of the word.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)