[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: SommI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 14 07:32:55 PDT 2023

Klingon word: SommI'
Part of speech: noun
Definition: tool, implement, instrument
Source: qep'a' 25 [2018]

AFAIK not used in a sentence.

(TKD 9):  There are certainly more Klingon words than those listed here. Three groups of words in particular are, for the most part, unrepresented: scientific terminology; words for native tools, customs, flora, and fauna […] Klingon words for traditional tools and long-standing customs are difficult to translate into English.

 (KGT 79-80):  In addition to the specialized tools, any blade ({'etlh}), even if designed for other purposes, may be used as a sculpting tool. Kahless himself is said to have used his *bat'leth*, the original "Sword of Honor," to carve a statue for the woman he loved, presumably Lukara.

(KGT 61):  By the same token, a blade not designed as a weapon may be used as a weapon if need be, though to be attacked by a warrior wielding something that is normally classified as a tool is considered by some to be an insult to one's honor.

SEE ALSO:
jan  	device (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey