[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Do'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Sep 7 07:12:15 PDT 2023

Klingon word: Do'
Part of speech: adv
Definition: luckily
Source: TKD

(st.k 9/01/1997):  As for how to use {Sum} "be near, nearby" -- that will require some more time with Maltz.  {Do' Sum matlh}.

(TKW 148):  The commonly heard sendoff "Curse well!" [{pe'vIl mu'qaDmey tIbach}] -- roughly comparable in usage to the Federation Standard "Good luck!" -- literally means, "Shoot curses forcefully!"

SEE:
Do'  		be fortunate, lucky (v)

maDo'choH
We are becoming lucky.
We are undergoing a turn of luck. (TKD)

bach Do', qaH
A lucky shot sir... (ST3)

maDo'chugh QeHchoH wa'
If we're lucky, one will get angry. (CK)

TREK NOTES:
  "Today we conquer. If some day we are defeated, well, war has its fortunes good and bad." (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

  “Cardassians don't believe in luck, Doctor. You survived because you're strong.” (Garak, DS9 “Distant Voices”)

  "There is a certain degree of random fortune involved. I believe that is why they call it 'gambling'." (Data about a game of dice, TNG "The Royale")

SEE ALSO:
bong  		accidentally,  by accident (adv)
chIch 		purposely, on purpose, intentionally (adv)

Haw 		be random, arbitrary, unpredictable, fortuitous (v)
SuD 		gamble, take a chance (v)
San 		fate (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey