[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: cheyIS

James Landau savegraduation at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 31 15:56:07 PDT 2023

And here my guess was that *cheyIS* was a reference to the Star Trek episode The Chase. The request for "cephalopod" noted that cephalopods were the only non-tetrapod body plan in which intelligence had been known to develop, and Marc Okrand may have played on that request by referencing the episode that deals with the whys and wherefores of sapient species looking so much alike across the world of Star Trek (BTW, I've never seen that episode, just seen it referenced when reading stuff on the Net about the evolution of sapient life). Okrand could've turned "Chase" into either *cheS* or *cheyIS*, and *cheS* was already taken for ANOTHER type of animal, the rabbit, so that was clearly out. (Although English has homonyms like manakins and manikins and weavers and weevers and plantains and plantains . . .)

>Message: 2>Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2023 13:42:06 +0100
>From: "De'vID" <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com>
>To: tlhingan-hol at kli.org
>Subject: Re: [tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: cheyIS
>
>On Sun, Oct 29, 2023 at 3:00?PM Klingon Word of the Day via tlhIngan-Hol <
>tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:
>
>> Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, October 29, 2023
>>
>> Klingon word: cheyIS
>> Part of speech: noun
>> Definition: cephalopod
>> Source: qep'a' 28
>>

>This may just be a genuine coincidence (as in, maybe it wasn't intended by
.Marc Okrand), but the famous WWI propaganda poster "The Prussian Octopus"