[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: rech

James Landau savegraduation at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 19 19:36:19 PDT 2023

>SEE ALSO:
>ruq         belch (v)
>Hob         yawn (v)
>tlhov         wheeze (v)
>jev         wheeze (v)
>chuy         sneeze (v)
>largh         smell, sense odors  (v)

Let's look at the "Body Functions" section of the Landau Core Vocabulary and see how many of these words we have in Klingon:

to hurt, to ache, to feel pain: 'oy'

to feel (organically): jem

to breathe*: tlhuH

to eat* (of people): Sop

to eat (polite term, used only of other people): Sop

to eat (of animals): Sop

to swallow: ghup

to chew (of people): yIv

to chew (of animals): yIv

to munch on: ???

to digest: rID

to drink*: tlhutlh

to drink (alcohol): ???

to leave (not eat/drink: John left one chocolate): ???

to smoke: por pur

to vape: ???

to inject (heroin): QIn

to inject (medicine): QIn

to lick: roS

to lick (one’s plate): roS

to lick (stamp): roS

to take (medicine): ???

to overdose: ???

to choke: voQ

to starve (suffer from hunger): ???

to starve (die from hunger): ???

to sleep*: Qong

to fall asleep: ???

to wake up: vem

to rest: leS

to pass out: vulchoH?

to suffer (be in pain): bech

to cough: tuS

to sneeze: chuy

to burp, to belch: ruq

to yawn: Hob

to hiccough: bur

to snore: wuD

to suck: rem

to suck (at a nipple): rem?

to suck (one’s thumb): rem?

to spit: tlhepQe' tuy'

to spit (of cat, camel): tlhepQe' tuy'

to drool: bol

to run (of a nose)

to vomit, to throw up, to puke: 'em

to urinate, to pee, to piss, to make water, to take a leak, to empty one’s bladder: turmIq vuj

to defecate, to take a dump, to do one’s business, to have a bowel movement, to poop: qeQ vuj

to break wind, to fart, to pass gas: Qep'It vuj

to bleed: regh

to sweat, to perspire: HID

to cool off (person): ???

to shiver: ???

to breast-feed, to nurse: ???

to beat (of the heart): ???

to flow (of blood): ghIt

to heal (intransitive): ???

to stretch (for relaxing muscles): ???

to stretch (to reach something): ???

to stretch (one’s legs): ???

to wipe (one’s hand): ???

to wipe (one’s nose): ???

to wipe (sweat from one’s forehead): ???

to bite (one’s nails): chop

to bite (of a fish at a hook): chop

to shed (skin): ???

to lay (eggs): ???

to die (of an animal): Hegh

to die (of a plant): Hegh

And a few body function verbs from the "Sex" section:

to have sex (with), to sleep with, to make love (to), to copulate, to fornicate, to screw, to do it: ngagh

to menstruate, to have one’s period: chI

to ejaculate: ghuch -- Well, kind of. We have a request for "sperm" at the chabal tetlh, so we'll be able to say *[sperm] vuj*. Until then, *ghuch* is the best we can do.

So we've got most of the body function words. majQa'! No surprise, since these are blood-and-guts basic concepts that are pretty culture-neutral for anthropic sapient species. (Well, not "vape".)