[tlhIngan Hol] Apposition in the *paq'batlh*

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Oct 18 09:11:56 PDT 2023

Thinking some more about apposition...  The closest examples I could find were:

qIvo'rIt toQDuj 'oH tlhIngan wo' Duj pagh'e'
The Imperial Klingon Vessel Pagh is a K'Vort-class
Bird-of-Prey. (S7)

... where {tlhIngan wo' Duj} is in apposition to {pagh}.  Note that only the ship name is tagged with {-'e'}; {Duj} is not.

juHqo' Qo'noSvo' loghDaq lengtaHvIS tlhInganpu'
During the (aggressive) expansion of the Klingon people from their homeworld of Kronos into space... (SP1)

... again, only the proper noun {Qo'noS} is tagged.

We know that suffixes are repeated with multiple nouns in sequence:

... tlhIngan'e', tera'ngan'e', romuluSngan'e'
[... a Klingon, a Terran, a Romulan (untranslated)] (ST6)

Paramount Pictures malja' permey bIH Star Trek pong'e' Deghmey'e' je
"Star Trek" and related marks are trademarks of Paramount Pictures.  (Copyright)

poSDaq nIHDaq je QamtaHvIS SuvwI'pu', chaH jojDaq yItnIS lopwI'
The initiate must pass through a gauntlet of warriors. (S9)

i.e. "while standing on the left side and on the right side"

tIngvo' 'evDaq chanDaq
from area-southwestward to area-northwestward to area
eastward (st.klingon 11/21/1999)

'ej Hoch vengHomDaq Hoch vengDaq je
In every village and city (PB)

i.e. "in every village and in every city"

Locative suffixes are also repeated when increasing precision is needed:

tlhIngan juHqo'Daq tlhIng yoSDaq 'oH toQDuj chenmoHlu'meH
    Daq wa'DIch'e'
1st Construction Site: The Kling District, Klingon Home World.
    (KBoP)

i.e. "on the Klingon Homeworld, in the Kling District".

loghDaq lupDujHom qoDDaq bIlengtaHvIS, nIbuQbogh novpu' DaSuv
Battle menacing aliens in a shuttlecraft journey through space. (STX)

i.e. "in space, inside a shuttlecraft"

I admit that not all of these are useful in answering Luis's question WRT apposition, but they do show a greater tolerance for what an English-speaker would consider redundant repetition. <g>

Voragh