[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: buv

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 13 07:58:30 PDT 2023

Klingon word: buv
Part of speech: verb
Definition: classify

AFAIK the verb has not been used in a sentence.

(De'vID < MO, 2/17/2018 [in re the "preferences" or "settings" page found in software]):  Maltz thought that {SeHlaw} could work if it’s referring to the whole page, not individual settings.  An individual option or preference is {DuH}.  A category is {buv} "classification.”

Okrand's use of English "classify" in KGT:
 - "something that is normally classified as a tool" (KGT 61)
 - "its potential effectiveness justifies classifying it as a weapon" (KGT 66)
 - "What the Federation would classify as a painting" (KGT 80)
 - "these...might as well be classified as slang" (KGT 176)

SEE:
buv  		classification (n)
  - Hung buv rav: patlh Hut
     classified level 9 and above (KBoP)
pab buv        	part of speech (gram.) (n)

SEE ALSO:
poj 		analyze (v)
patlhmoH 	rank, assign status, sort (v)
pegh 		keep something secret, be secret/classified (v)
Hey’ 		censor (v)

chovnatlh 	specimen (n)
poj 		analysis (n)
Segh 		race [type, sort, class] (n)
DI’on 		characteristic, trait (n)
Sar 		variety (n)
mut 		species (n)
HIDjolev 	menu (n)
mem 		catalog (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey