[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lIw mu'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 9 07:40:40 PDT 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, October 08, 2023

Klingon word: lIw mu'
Part of speech: noun
Definition: pronoun
Source: qep'a' 27 [2020]

(qep’a’ 2020):  applies to full words only, not prefixes

(TKD 52):  Pronouns may be used as nouns, but only for emphasis or added clarity.

(KGT 172):  Klingon grammarians refer to the rule that governs the use of pronominal prefixes as the rule of {rom} (literally, "accord").
Grammarians of Federation Standard and many Earth languages call the phenomenon "agreement". Thus, in the case of Klingon, the prefix used must "agree" with the noun to which it refers; if the object noun is plural, for example, the prefix must be one that is  used with plural objects. Agreeing is not a trait typically associated with Klingon nature, however, and apparently, at least under certain circumstances, this may extend to grammar as well.

SEE ALSO:
pab 		grammar (n)
pab buv 	part of speech (n)
mu’ 		word (n)
mu’tlhegh 	sentence (n)

wot 		verb (n)
qunI’ 		adverbial (n)
SeSor 		subject (n)
'ovmay 		direct object (n)
vI'Hop 		indirect object (n)
mojaq/mojaQ 	suffix (n)
moHaq 		prefix (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey