[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: QeD

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 13 07:54:48 PST 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, November 12, 2023

Klingon word: QeD
Part of speech: noun
Definition: science

(TKD 9):  Three groups of words in particular are, for the most part, unrepresented: scientific terminology … Terms associated with the various sciences are the subject of a special study, and a report is currently being prepared.

(Lawrence, [DATE?]):  Actually, [{HolQeD}] IS canonical. It is a backfit that Marc Okrand was kind enough to provide (I think in an interview), casually acknowledging that of course this compound meant "language science, or linguistics." And, presumably it does open the door to geology and mathematics and many more.

(De’vID, 7/26/2019):  At the 2014 Saarbrücken qepHom'a' … Okrand made a remark along the lines that, generally, if there's a {QeD}, there's a corresponding {tej}. Sometimes he explicitly reveals a {tej} for a {QeD}, but sometimes he doesn't.

(qepHom 2019 booklet):  There is a pattern that if there is a {xQeD}, then the {xtej} is automatically correct.  {xQeD} and {xtej} are generally written without a space, but there are few exceptions: {DI'ruj QeD} "metaphysics" is two words (as is {DI'ruj tej}).  Also, {Hov leng QeD} "treknology" is a made-up word (or phrase) that doesn't come from Klingon culture; it was a one-time translation of a chapter heading in a non-Klingon publication. So Klingons aren't concerned about that one.

PUN:  "Q.E.D." (*quod erat demonstrandum*)

SEE:
QeD pat  	science system (n)
QeD SeHlaw  	science console (n)
QeDpIn  	science officer (n)

HapQeD 	physics
HolQeD 	linguistics
HovQeD 	astronomy
HuchQeD 	economics
mI’QeD 	mathematics
no'QeD 	genealogy
nughQeD 	sociology
porghQeD 	scientific study of bodily functions (physiology?)
qunQeD 	history science, historiography
rayQeD 	genetics
renyarDaq QeD parapsychology
roSqa'QeD 	archaeology [N.B. one word]
tamlerQeD 	chemistry [N.B. one word]
yuQQeD 	geography
'an'orQeD 	paleontology [N.B. one word]
'otlhQeD 	quantum mechanics, quantum theory

I'm sure I've missed a few.  The wiki has a list of science terms:  http://klingon.wiki/En/Science

SEE ALSO:
tej 		scientist (n)
cham 		technology (n)
nger 		theory (n)
Sov 		knowledge (n)
De' 		information (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey