[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: taq

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Tue May 30 07:48:44 PDT 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, May 27, 2023

Klingon word: taq
Part of speech: verb
Definition: be scarred
Source: qep'a' 24 [2017]

(qep’a’ 2017):  So if you have a scar that you got in a fight, that could be either a {mIvwa'} or a {SanDIy}. If you don't know whether someone's scar resulted from a wound or a disease, it's probably safest to go with {mIvwa'}. If the person's scar is actually a {SanDIy}, he/she will, under most circumstances, clarify this for you. If it's a {roptoj}, he/she may let the 'misdiagnosis' slide since, as we all know, {ropchoHbe' tlhInganpu'}.

(qepHom 2021):  The correct word to refer to a scar that results from surgery, is {mIvwa'}. It is defined as “scar (from wound)", and the wound in this case is an intentional wound. The word {roptoj} "scar (from disease)" is not appropriate here.

SEE:
taqmoH  	scar (v) (qep'a' 2017)

SEE ALSO:
mIvwa'  	scar (result of wound, regardless of how the wound occurred) (n)
roptoj  		scar (result of some sort of disease, infection, etc.) (n)
SanDIy  		scar (result of wound received in the course of fighting/battling) (n)

pe' 		cut (v)
Haq 		perform surgery (on) (v)
QID 		wound  (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey