[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Qal

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri May 26 07:25:15 PDT 2023

Klingon word: Qal
Part of speech: verb
Definition: swim
Source: Eurotalk Talk Now! Klingon [TNK]

naDev jIQal vIneH; Qobbe''a' bIQ
Is it safe to swim here? (TNK)

(KGT 91):  The verb {HaH} ["marinate"], though once restricted to this form of food preparation, is now often used in the more general sense of "soak, drench".  It is frequently heard in the reflexive form ({HaH'egh} "soak oneself") in reference to such activities as drinking a great deal, which has positive connotations, and bathing, an occasional undertaking with negative connotations.

CULTURAL NOTES:
(qe'San [date?]):   One of the brand new Klingon words is the one for swimming as in the phrase "Is it safe to swim here?" Klingons don't like water as, for them, it's a sign of weakness; they also love danger. So this one may come as a surprise to them!" says Marc.

(TKW 35):  The negative associations with water might also be seen when Worf remarked to Counselor Deanna Troi, "Swimming is too much like bathing."

(SuStel, 8/18/2016):  We have Worf's expression of distaste, "Swimming is too much like bathing."  On Lursa and Be'etor's Bird-of-Prey, Dr. Soran waved his hand in front of his face as if they smelled.  Q made bathing jokes aimed at Worf.  Hardly evidence that Klingons don't bathe, but clearly they don't like to bathe.

(HQ 10.4 re {lotlhmoq}] ... a bird that swoops into the water in order to catch food, but cannot swim

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey