[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: quHvaj

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon May 22 11:22:13 PDT 2023

Thanks, James.  I forgot to cross reference it with {jIb}.

For those keeping track it’s from qep’a’ 2020 where it was also glossed as “knotwork”.  In addition to {chip} “cut, trim (hair)”  possible verbs to use with {mayqar} include {meS} {knot}, {bagh} “tie”, and {nIq} “weave”.

(Okrand to De'vID, 10/2014):  [Maltz] said he does not knit and, in fact, wasn't quite sure what knitting was. I explained. He said there is a word perhaps best translated as “weave” and that he has heard of using sticks when doing a certain kind of weaving, but he didn't know a name for that other than weaving. (There are apparently other types of weaving also.) The word for “weave” (verb) is {nIq}.

(Lieven, 11/12/2014):  After giving us the word for “knitting”, Maltz just revealed another useful and related word: it's {meS} and means “knot”, both as noun and verb. The object of the verb is the thing you use to make a knot, e.g. {tlhegh vImeS} - "I make a knot in the rope". To loosen the knot, simply say {meSHa'}.

All assuming, of course, that Klingon hairdressers - *{chIpwI’pu’}? - don’t have their own specialized argot. <g>

__
Voragh

On Behalf Of James Landau via tlhIngan-Hol
>From: Steven Boozer <sboozer at uchicago.edu<mailto:sboozer at uchicago.edu>>
>
>Klingon word:             quHvaj
>Part of speech:            noun
>Definition:                   dandruff