[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'ovmay

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon May 22 07:18:27 PDT 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, May 22, 2023

Klingon word: 'ovmay
Part of speech: noun
Definition: direct object
Source: qep'a' 26 [2019]

(TKD 6.8 [p.180]):  While the object of the verb is the recipient of the action, the indirect object may be considered the beneficiary. In a Klingon sentence, the indirect object precedes the object and is suffixed with the Type 5 noun suffix {-vaD} for, intended for. The suffix may be attached to either a noun or a pronoun.

(TKD 18):  There are three basic parts of speech in Klingon: noun, verb, and everything else.

(TKD 51):  By far the bulk of Klingon words are nouns and verbs. There are a few others which, probably as an expedient, Klingon grammarians lump together in a group called {chuvmey} "leftovers". It is possible to classify the {chuvmey} some-what.

Before 2019 {DoS} "target" was occasionally used for direct object on the Mailing List faute de mieux.

PUN:  "The Object of my Affection" (1998 film)?

SEE ALSO:
SeSor 		subject (n)
vI'Hop 		indirect object (n)
qunI’  		adverbial (n)
mu’tlhegh 	sentence (n)
DIp 		noun (n)
wot 		verb (n)
pab buv 	part of speech (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey