[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: veQ

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri May 12 07:31:52 PDT 2023

Klingon word: 	veQ
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	garbage
Source: 	TKD

<yajchu'.  ghargh...  veQ> (??)
[Understood clearly. Worms... garbage! (untranslated)] (ST3)

logh veQDaq bachchugh, yoH 'e' toblaHbe' SuvwI'
Shooting space garbage is no test of a warrior's mettle. (ST5 notes)

jogh veQ lungIv
They patrol the quadrant garbage. (KGT)

AS USED IN "STAR TREK: KLINGON!" (the KCD novelization):
   Then speaking to Pok, but looking directly into Vok's face, [K'Tar] said, "Throw this {veQ} out."  Pok stood and moved toward Vok, reaching for the unwanted guest. "{bIyem'a'!}"  (KCD novel, p.23f)

   "Get this {veQ} off my bridge."  (KCD novel, 106)

   "When we catch this {veQ} of a bartender," I said to Pok, "I will let you have the honor of killing him."  (KCD novel, p.107)

   Qua'lon jumped to his feet, clearly outraged. "The wife of the {veQ} who killed my brother may not enter the House of SepIch."  (KCD novel, p.166)

TREK NOTES:
   “You people have rituals for everything except waste extraction.” (Quark to Worf, DS9 “Looking for Par'Mach In All The Wrong Places”)

SEE:
veQDuj  	garbage scow (n)

SEE ALSO:
DI 		litter, rubble, debris (n)
pIgh 		ruins (n)
pugh 		dregs (n)
chuvmey 	leftovers (n)
taQbang 	exhaust (n)
ghImwI' 	exhaust [device?] (n)

woD 		throw away(v)
tlhuch 		exhaust [i.e. waste products] (v)

ngIm		be putrid (v)
non 		be rotten (v)
ragh 		decay (v)
He'So' 		stink (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey