[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Deryat

kechpaja at kechpaja.com kechpaja at kechpaja.com
Mon May 8 22:05:43 PDT 2023

On Mon, May 08, 2023 at 05:30:20PM -0400, Alan Anderson via tlhIngan-Hol wrote:
>On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 2:57 PM Lieven L. Litaer via tlhIngan-Hol <
>tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:
>
>> ...I would guess that this is not used for a
>> flight plan. Such a plan lists different times and is used daily for a
>> very long time.
>

>That's not what a flight plan is (at least not in English). A flight plan
>is a one-time thing. You're probably thinking of an airline flight schedule
>or timetable, which is completely different.
>

>> The program of a conference is a list of several
>> different events that happen only once, and that schedule is only used
>> once for one specific event.
>>

>That doesn't really match a flight plan either, though. Flight plans aren't
>usually detailed schedules of multiple happenings, and they usually include
>contingencies in the event of a destination airport being either
>unavailable or unreachable (due to weather or other situations). I think a
>flight plan might be closer to {jey} "itinerary".

Also (and possibly crucially): a flight plan is not something that the
passengers of a plane are likely to ever think about, unless they happen
to be pilots themselves and are curious. It's a fairly technical term,
and only an actual pilot or flight enthusiast would know exactly what a
flight plan should look like. As a non-pilot native speaker, my concept
of a flight plan is limited to "paperwork the pilot needs to file before
taking off so that air traffic control knows where they are going".

  - SapIr (Kelvin)