[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'eDjen

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon May 8 09:18:04 PDT 2023

SarghlIj jen yIlItHa'!

PICARD:  Computer, program the holodeck for a woodland setting,
                 with a bridle path and an appropriate mount.
COMPUTER: Type of mount? Andorian Zabathu, Klingon Sark...
PICARD:  Horse. Earth horse.                [TNG "Pen Pals"]

PICARD:  Then I have enough time to back to the ship and
                   get my saddle.
TROI: 	  Your saddle?
PICARD:  Yes. A saddle is a very personal thing. It has to
                   be broken in, used, cared for.
LAFORGE:  You keep a saddle on board the Enterprise?
PICARD:   Oh yes, yes. I never know when I'll have the
                    opportunity to ride.
TROI: 	   I see.
PICARD:   It's perfectly normal. Most serious riders do
                    have their own saddles.
TROI: 	   Of course.
   [ …. ]
RIKER: 	   Geordi, what happened to the Captain?
LAFORGE:  Oh, he went back to the ship to get his saddle.
RIKER: 	   His saddle?
LAFORGE:  Any serious rider would have his own saddle.
   [ …. ]
WORF: 	   Captain, you keep a saddle on board?
RIKER: 	   Mister Worf, I'm surprised at you.
CRUSHER:  Anyone who is an experienced rider naturally
                     has his own saddle.
TROI:	   It's perfectly normal.
PICARD:   Actually, it came in handy. I only wish I'd had
                    the opportunity to use it on a horse.
WORF: 	   Of course.                            [TNG “Starship Mine”]

A horse is a horse, of course, of course.

--Voragh