[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: 'eDjen

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon May 8 06:46:45 PDT 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Sunday, May 07, 2023

Klingon word: 	'eDjen
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	an arrogant or haughty person
Source: 	HQ:v12n3p9

(HQ 12.3:9):  The notion of "too big for one's britches" (be too haughty or arrogant for one's status) as well as that of "commit hubris" (be presumptuous or arrogant) might best be rendered in Klingon not by {HoQ} but by {nguq} "be arrogant, haughty, conceited" an undesirable trait. To be {Hem} "proud", however, is quite admirable and does not carry any connotations of arrogance as the Federation Standard words "proud" and "pride" sometimes do. The noun {'eDjen} refers to a person who is arrogant or haughty.

PUN:  someone Okrand knows?

SEE ALSO:
nguq 		be arrogant, haughty, conceited (v)
HoQ  		be honored falsely, be falsely honorable (v)
Qaq 		behave falsely honorably/in a falsely honorable
		  manner (v)

Hem 		be proud (v)
jeQ 		be self-confident (v)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey