[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nong

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed May 3 07:23:26 PDT 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, May 03, 2023

Klingon word: 	nong
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	be passionate

nong; vulqangan rur
passionate as a Vulcan (KGT; a common simile)

maSuv manong 'ej maHoHchu'
We fight, we love, and then we kill. (Anthem)

(KGT 132):  One simile of this type associates a people with a quality opposite from one they actually typify:  {nong; vulqangan rur} ("passionate as a Vulcan".)  This would be used to describe somebody who was not passionate.  As far as can be determined, this is the only use of irony in expressions of this type, and what led to this unique occurrence is not known.

TREK NOTES:
 “Imagine that. A passionate Vulcan!” (McCoy re Sybok, ST5)

  "I agree with the Vulcans: Violent emotion is a kind of insanity." (Dr Miranda Jones, TOS "Is There in Truth No Beauty?")

  "I must confess that I too am moved emotionally. I know it is illogical." (Spock to Romulan Commander, TOS "The Enterprise Incident")

  According to Ambassador Soval, Vulcans consider Klingons to be wildly emotional. (ENT “The Forge”)

  "Upon reaching a certain age, the Age of Ascension, a young Klingon undergoes a rite of passage symbolizing the attainment of a certain spiritual level ... the initiate, while walking along a path lined by painstik-wielding warriors, expresses his or her deepest feelings." (TKW 110; cf. TNG "The Icarus Factor")

SEE ALSO:
tIw 		react/behave emotionally (v)
bel 		be pleased (v)
yon 		be satisfied (v)
DuQ 		touch (emotionally) (v)
meq  		reason, think logically (v)

bang 		love, one who is loved, beloved one (n)
parmaq 	*par'Mach* = love, romance (n) [i.e. lust]
meq  		reason (logical thinking); motive, topic, subject (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey