[tlhIngan Hol] wishlist for TKD 3ed

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue May 2 06:24:27 PDT 2023

On 5/2/2023 9:08 AM, Michael Kúnin via tlhIngan-Hol wrote:
> I am aware of the intellectual property rights issue, but I have a
> very strong impression that the money Paramount is _now_ earning from
> TKD is quite negligible for them

I think the sheer number of printings both editions have gone through
speaks against your impression. They wouldn't keep printing it if they
weren't selling it or it wasn't worth the money it takes to print and
sell it.

Also, I can only imagine that Paramount?/CBS?/whoever? simply gets a cut
of whatever Simon & Schuster/Pocket Books makes. From a financial
standpoint, Paramount only has to worry about whether it conforms to
their standards. It's S&S/PB who has to worry about print costs,
licensing costs, distribution, and profit margin. They're the ones who
have to think about whether it's worth it to print and sell TKD, and
they're not Paramount.

Historically, conditions appear to have been good to sell TKD. Whether
that means S&S/PB will consider proofing, laying out, and printing a
whole new edition — when stock of the latest second-edition printing
runs out, mind you — is another story, and the real crux and mystery here.