[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tangqa'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 8 07:22:03 PST 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, March 08, 2023

Klingon word: 	tangqa'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	bull-like animal, *tangkar*
Source: 	HQ:v9n4p?

(MO, HQ 9.4):  In the epic, Gilgamesh and Enkidu battle the Bull of Heaven.  The Klingon translation (allegedly found on a barren planetoid) contains the phrase: {QI'tu' tangqa'}.  Although {QI'tu'} "heaven" is a familiar enough term, {tangqa'} is clearly something new.  Maltz graciously provided the following brief explanation:  There's this Klingon animal, you see, which is kind of bull-like.  It's called a {tangqa'}.  Both male and female ones are called {tangqa'}.  So it doesn't really mean "bull."  But it certainly looks like one.  Or more like a bull than anything else.

Used in "{ghIlghameS}: A Klingon Translation" by Roger Cheesbro (ie. DloraH [2000]).  For more information see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bull_of_Heaven and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epic_of_Gilgamesh

SEE ALSO:
[mInHor] (?)  	minn'hor (n)
  - "An ox-like carnivorous animal used for riding" (Kahless [J.M. Friedman's pro novel])
  -  “The *minn'hor* is a beast of burden (similar to cattle), the milk of which is used to make cheese.” (Felix, 7/25/2016)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey