[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pong

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 24 07:18:53 PDT 2023

Klingon word: pong
Part of speech: noun
Definition: name

tlhIngan qorDu' pong potlh law' Hoch potlh puS
Above all, the Klingon family name is highly valued. (S13)

Paramount Pictures malja' permey bIH Star Trek pong'e' Deghmey'e' je
"Star Trek" and related marks are trademarks of Paramount Pictures. (Copyright)

'u' 'oH ghe'naQ pong['e'].
The name of the opera is 'u'. ('U'-MTK)

luqara' 'oH pongwI[j]'e'
My name is Lukara. (PB)

veqlarghvo' narghbogh loD
   chutDaj bIv 'e' ngIlbogh loD
   DaH pongDaj Sov qotar
Now Kotar has the name
   Of the one who eluded Fek'lhr,
   And he dared to defy his rules. (PB)

RYAN NYP chu' 'oH muD Duj'e' 'ej "ST. LOUIS toDuj" 'oH pongDaj'e'.
[untranslated?] (NASM: Ryan NYP)

Savan.  marq 'oqranD 'oH pongwIj'e'.
I greet you all. My name is Marc Okrand. (Vilnius 12/2022)

(TKD 58):  Klingon names are frequently mispronounced by non-Klingons. Furthermore, when written in the writing systems of other languages, they usually end up with spellings which only suggest their true pronunciation. For example, the Klingon sound {tlh} at the beginning of a word is almost always written /kl/ by English speakers, presumably because the sound /tl/ cannot occur at the beginning of an English word. Similarly, Klingon {Q} is often rendered *kr*, and Klingon {q} always comes out /k/ ... Names may be used in direct address (that is, calling somebody by name) at the beginning or end of the sentence. Other words used in direct address (such as {qaH} "sir", {joHwI'} "my lord") are used similarly.  {torgh HIghoS} "Torg, come here!"  {lu' qaH} "Yes, sir!"

(KGT 197):  It is always proper to call somebody by his or her name alone... During formal occasions, it is also not uncommon to refer to someone by his or her father's name, such as {mogh puqloD} (son of Mogh) or a combination of given name plus father's name, such as {HuS 'atrom puqbe'} (Huss, daughter of A'trom).

(Seqram [date of post?]):  At a panel in Huntsville (9/96), Okrand said that Klingons are like some Terran cultures in which people have more than one name, including names that are used for outsiders or in public. Those "outsider" names needn't even be valid Klingon, because they're not meant for proper Klingon speech.

TREK NOTES:

ESOQQ: My given name is Esoqq. … it means “fighter”.
THOLL: 	 I'll bet half the names in the Chalnoth language mean
               “fighter".  [TNG "Allegiance"]

“What’s in a name? That which we call a rose by any other name would smell as sweet.” (Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet II:1; quoted by Kirk in TOS “By Any Other Name”)

SEE:
pong  		name,  call (v)
   pong wa'DIch       first name [of a list] (HQ 12.2:9)
   pong HochDIch    last name [of a list] (HQ 12.2:9)
bang pong 	pet name, endearment (n)

SEE ALSO:
Degh 		emblem, symbol, insignia, mark (n)
per 		label (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey