[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nuH bey'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 16 07:44:11 PDT 2023

Klingon word: 	nuH bey'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	Pride of Weapons
Source: 	HQ (5:1 p20)

i.e. a ceremonial display of weapons

(SuStel, 10/06/2021):  The word {bey'} was included in KGT's word list.  […]  {nuH bey'} appears on that list [in HQ5.1:20]. … The list came out before KCD: "While you'll have to wait for the CD-ROM to actually hear Gowron speak, we are providing the vocabulary below for your advance education."

  In the House of SepIch Rite of Ascension chamber, the {quv bey'} looks like the {nuH bey'} except that it contains two *bat'leths* and two *d'k tahgs*, as opposed to the {nuH bey'} which has one *bat'leth*, one {naQjej}, and a {ghop 'etlh} ("One of three weapons traditionally displayed on the {nuH bey'}." (KCD)

  A photo of what might be Worf's {nuH bey'} on the wall of his Enterprise-D quarters can be seen in TKW p.124 (cf. TNG "Genesis", et al.).   There's another version is on the KAG site:
  https://hol.kag.org/page/KLL/WEAPON.TXT.html?o=DevwIW005

TREK NOTES:
  "Where are all your weapons? Don't you display your weapons?" (Trelane to Kirk, TOS "The Squire of Gothos")

  Mirror Kirk certainly did.  He had a display of exotic knives on the wall over his desk in his quarters on the ISS Enterprise. (TOS "Mirror, Mirror")

SEE:
nuH		weapon (n)
bey'  		ceremonial display (n)

betleH bey' 	*bat'leth* Display (n) KCD
quv bey' 	Honor Display (n) KCD

SEE ALSO:
DaH 		bank, array (of weapons, etc.) (n)
  - begh DaH 			deflector array
  - chuyDaH 			thrusters (pl.)
  - Hong boq chuyDaH 		impulse fusion thrusters (pl.)
  - nISwI' DaH 			disruptor banks
  - pIvchem lIngwI' DaH 		warp field generation array
  - pIvghor lIngwI' DaH 		warp generation array
  - pu'DaH 			phaser banks
  - So'wI' DaH 			cloak array

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey