[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: bav

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Mar 13 07:31:16 PDT 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, March 11, 2023

Klingon word: 	bav
Part of speech: 	verb
Definition: 	orbit
Source: 	TKD

*DIDaq Hoch Doch wIqorta'bogh bavmeH He cha'.
 This is the orbit of every object we have scavenged through in the debris field.
 (DSC "The Butcher's Knife Cares Not for the Lamb's Cry")

(IMO, HQ 7.4  [Dec. 1998]):  When asked about {bav}, Okrand says "You don't need a {-Daq}. Just use whatever it is that you are orbiting."

(KGT 141):  Klingons generally follow a naming scheme used throughout the galaxy whereby a planet's name is really the name of its sun (or one of them) followed by a number referring to its orbit. Within a solar system, the planet orbiting closest to the sun is numbered one, the next is two, and so on. Thus {lIghon wa'} (Ligon I) is the planet orbiting closest to the Ligon sun; {lIghon cha'} (Ligon II) is the second closest.

TREK NOTES:
  "Standard orbit" is the normal orbit above a class-M planet. Kirk ordered Sulu to "increase orbit to 20,000 [km.?] perigee." (TOS "The Deadly Years")  Standard orbit has to be calculated for each planet, e.g. Alpha Carinae II. (TOS "The Ultimate Computer")  The Enterprise maintained synchronous orbit over Gideon's capital city. (TOS "The Mark of Gideon")  Maximum orbit is 30,000 kilometers. (TOS "Obsession"; called "extended orbit” in TOS "Assignment: Earth")

SEE:
(qep’a’ 2020):  Note also {bav} “circumference.” For “diameter,” make use of {juch} “have a width of”

SEE ALSO:
DIng 		spin (v)
jIr 		rotate, twirl (v)
tlhe' 		turn (v)

gho 		circle (n)
gho SubmaH 	pi (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey