[tlhIngan Hol] Maus-words: News from Okrand

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Mon Mar 13 00:31:11 PDT 2023

On Mon, Mar 8, 2021 at 12:25 PM De'vID <de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, 7 Mar 2021 at 16:35, Lieven L. Litaer <levinius at gmx.de> wrote:
>
>> TL;DR: one new word {valqe'} "bat (animal)"
>>

> (Does Dr. Okrand think that Val Kilmer was the best Batman?)

Okrand has used *{qe'} to transliterate the letter "K" in {'oqe'} (OK, a
reference to the O.K. Corral), so {valqe'} could plausibly be "Val K.".

As well, the word {val} means "be clever, smart, intelligent" and is in the
original edition of TKD, which came out in 1985. The Val Kilmer movie "Real
Genius" came out in August 1985, the same year as TKD1ed. So both {val} and
{valqe'} seem to be references to Val Kilmer.

I wonder if Klingons think bats are a particularly clever animal?

--
De'vID