[tlhIngan Hol] baby rattle

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 1 11:42:45 PST 2023

I suppose just {chuSwI’} was already taken:

  "A rodent that mostly lives underground and makes an annoying noise." (Klingon Empire: A Burning House series by Keith DeCandido; first referenced in his Enemy Territory; spelling vetted by Okrand in DeCandido's The Klingon Art of War)

From: De'vID via tlhIngan-Hol
My children wanted to know what is the Klingon word for the object that the baby Klingon ({ghu}) is shown playing with in the book "Baby's First Klingon Words". If you haven't seen it, it's a baby rattle.  I mentioned their question to Dr. Okrand and here's what he wrote back:

--- begin quote ---
[MO] regarding the baby's rattle: For a baby, an important (defining?) characteristic of a rattle is that it makes noise. On the other hand, this is a Klingon toy, so its resemblance to a weapon is not unimportant. Perhaps it's a {ghu ghanjaq chuS} (though, in everyday speech, this would likely be shortened to {ghanjaq chuS}).
--- end quote ---
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/attachments/20230301/38676d8f/attachment.htm>

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list