[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: nIqHom

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Wed Jun 21 07:31:13 PDT 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Wednesday, June 21, 2023

Klingon word: 	nIqHom
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	software
Source: 	qep'a' 23 [2016]

DI’ruj velqa’ nIqHom
virtual reality software (qep’a’ 2016)

(De'vID < MO, 2/17/2018):  Depending on how it’s used, "[software]  version" could be, as you suggest, {nIqHom mI’} or else {qa’meH mI’} "replacement number". {nIqHom mI’} might be limited to major updates (2.0 to 3.0) and {qa’meH mI’} for less drastic ones (2.0 to 2.1).

(De'vID < MO, 2/17/2018, in re the "preferences" or "settings" page found in software): Maltz thought that {SeHlaw} could work if it’s referring to the whole page, not individual settings. An individual option or preference is {DuH}. A category is {buv} "classification".

SEE:
nIq  		weave (v)
nIqDob  	hole punch,  perforator (n)

PUN:  “In her notes about Charles Babbage's conceptual general purpose computer, Ada Lovelace writes: ‘The Analytical Engine weaves algebraic patterns just as the Jacquard loom weaves flowers and leaves.’ The comparison is made because the Jacquard loom uses punched cards to determine its patterns, and those were envisioned as the way to program the AE.” (ghunchu’wI’, 5/25/2017)

SEE ALSO:
De’wI’ 		computer (n)
qawHaq 	memory/data banks (n)
SoSbor'a' 	main [computer] core (n)
mIw 		procedure, process, step, stage (in a process) (n)

ghun 		program (a computer) (v)
  - qav'ap DIlmeH beylI' mabwIj ghunlu'ta'
      My bank account has been programmed to pay the fee.
      My bank pays the fee automatically.
      I pay the fee automatically. (qepHom 2021 booklet p.14)

N.B. *{De'wI' mIw} has long been used on this List for a "computer program".

TREK NOTES:
  “I am not programmed to respond in that area.” (TOS “I, Mudd”)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey