[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: Ho'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 16 07:40:51 PDT 2023

Klingon word: Ho'
Part of speech: verb
Definition: admire

ghotvam Ho'lu'. 'ej muSlu'
A man to admire… and hate. (ST5 notes)

butlh ghajbogh nuv'e' yIHo'
Admire the person with dirt under his fingernails. TKW

ghew vIHo'
I admire the bug. KGT

Hew vIHo'
I admire the statue. KGT

HoD Ho'lu'
The captain is admired. KGT

TREK NOTES:
  "Kor admires the virtues in one Organian, unaware that he is a Starfleet officer." (TKW p.122 ill.; cf. TOS "Errand of Mercy")

  "The fact is, Captain, I have a great admiration for your Starfleet. A remarkable instrument. And I must confess to a certain admiration for you." (Kor, TOS "Errand of Mercy")

  "I do so admire a man who devotes himself to knowledge." (Harry Mudd, TOS "I, Mudd")

SEE:
Ho'  		idol,  someone worthy of emulation,  something
                             deserving of respect (slang) (n)

(KGT 152-53):  This is actually the word for tooth, but it is applied to someone who is admired or revered.  It might be used in a phrase such as {Ho' SoH} ("You are an idol" or "You are someone worthy of emulation"; literally, "You are a tooth") or {Ho' ghaH HoD'e'} ("The captain is an idol"; literally, "The captain is a tooth").
    Grammatically, even as slang, {Ho'} follows the rules appropriate to its literal meaning.  Thus, even though it may refer to a person, its plural is {Ho'Du'} (teeth), making use of the plural suffix for body parts ({-Du'}), not {Ho'pu'}, with {-pu'}, the plural suffix for beings capable of using language.  Similarly, it never takes the possessive suffixes associated with beings capable of using language.  That is, my idol (literally, "my tooth") is {Ho'wIj} (with {-wIj}, the general suffix for my), not {Ho'wI'} (with {-wI'}, the suffix for my used with beings capable of using language).
    The slang meaning of {Ho'} is no doubt influenced by the identically sounding verb {Ho'} (admire), and, indeed, the closest nonslang counterpart is probably a phrase with this verb:  {HoD Ho'lu'} ("The captain is admired").

Ho'  		tooth;  cog/sprocket teeth (n)
Ho’ teywI'  	toothbrush (n)
Ho''oy'  		toothache (n)
Ho'Du' Say'moHwI' tlhagh  	toothpaste (n)

Ho’ rutlh  	cog/sprocket wheel (n)
Ho' 'etlh  	serrated blade (n)

SEE ALSO:
naD 		commend, praise (v)
quvmoH 	honor (v)
vuv 		respect (v)
yI' 		speak in an honorable or respectful fashion (v)

Sub 		hero (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey