[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tlharwIl Duj

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Jun 14 09:11:37 PDT 2023

Am 14.06.2023 um 16:23 schrieb Steven Boozer via tlhIngan-Hol:
> Klingon word: tlharwIl Duj
> Part of speech: noun
> Definition: train car, railroad car
> Source: Miniatur Wunderland Video
>
> (Lieven?, 6/20/2019):  I don't have much information, but I was told that "they travel on {tIHmey}".

Yes, that came from me.

I asked Okrand:
Do trains travel on {tawmey} or is there a specific word for railway tracks?

He answered:
"No. They travel on {tIHmey}."

Also, his full explanation was:

Any vehicle is a {Duj}, so that would be fine. But I think you're asking
if there's a more specific word. In British English, "waggon" refers to
a car on a train that carries freight. The car for passengers is a
"carriage," I think.  (In American English, neither "wagon" [American
spelling] nor "carriage" is common when referring to trains.) Anyway, I
assume you're referring to any rail car (behind the engine), not just
one for freight. The usual term for a rail car (passenger or freight or
whatever) is {tlharwIl Duj}.

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"