[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: pu'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 2 07:13:18 PDT 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, June 02, 2023

Klingon word: pu'
Part of speech: noun
Definition: horn
Source: The Little Prince [TLP]

(TLP):  The horn of an animal, same word as the spike on a boot (or a spike in general).  When clarity is called for, say {Ha'DIbaH pu'} or {DI'raq loD pu'}.  The plural of {pu'} is either {pu'mey} or {pu'Du'}, depending on the specific meaning of {pu'}.

(KGT 58):  On the toe of each high boot (DaS), likewise made of animal hide (DIr), was a clawlike spike called a {pu'}.  The word {pu'} now means phaser, and the newer meaning probably developed from the older spike because of the lightning speed with which one delivered a blow with the sharp {pu'}.  In contemporary Klingon, the spike on the toe of a boot is always called a {DaSpu'} (boot spike), never {pu'} alone.

(KGT 58):  A warrior's glove … had … sharp protrusions at the knuckles. If there was a special name for these protrusions, it is lost; they are now called simply {DuQwI'mey} (spikes).

PUN:
Spanish *púa* "barb, prong, quill, spike" (on sports shoes in Venezuela & Chile) [source?]

N.B.  Do not confuse with the {gheb} "horn (musical instrument)".

SEE ALSO:
DuQwI' 		spike (n)
Hut'In 		nail (n)
Hut'In vIl 	screw (n)
wIl 		spike [construction] (n)
SIril 		hook (n)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey