[tlhIngan Hol] Three questions about the *paq'batlh*

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Fri Jul 28 15:05:08 PDT 2023

On Fri, Jul 28, 2023 at 10:33 AM luis.chaparro--- via tlhIngan-Hol <
tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:

> ghe'tor lojmIt'a'Daq
> 'Iw bIQtIq ghoS
> naDevvo' chegh pagh
>
> (paq'raD Prologue, 22-24)
>
> In *boQwI'* we read about *ghoS*: /This can mean either *approach* or *go
> away from* depending on the presence of nouns with the suffixes *-Daq* and
> *-vo'*. The way to use *ghoS* and other verbs of movement are described in
> HQ 7.4[2]. See *jaH* for details./
>
> And in the entry *jaH*: /If the verb prefix indicates an object, then the
> subject is going to a destination associated with the object, which may be
> marked with *-Daq*. If the verb prefix indicates no object, then the
> destination is unspecified. In that case, a noun marked with *-Daq*
> indicates the location where the *going* is taking place./
>
> The problem for me is that we have a noun phrase with *-Daq* (*ghe'tor
> lojmIt'a'Daq), an object without *-Daq* (*'Iw bIQtIq*) and a verb in third
> person singular (with the null prefix). Is it possible that a verb of
> movement has a noun phrase with *-Daq* *AND* an object (with or without
> *-Daq*)? But then I would understand something like: He approches the river
> of blood and this movement happens at (the area of) the Gre'thor gates,
> which doesn't make much sense. I would have expected it the other way
> around (approching the gates, moving in the river). I just can't understand
> how grammar is working here. Or am I missing something?

boQwI' can give a good basic explanation, but it can't account for every
situation. (It's also not something one should cite as a source, so thank
you for quoting its own citation of HolQeD.)

*ghoS *has an underlying meaning something like *follow a course, move
along a path*. Its object is a location or other identifier for the path.
Sometimes that's the destination, sometimes it's the origin, and sometimes
it's just a name for the path.  So* 'Iw bIQtIq ghoS* means *follow the
river of blood*, and in this case the preceding *ghe'tor lojmIt'a'Daq* is
most reasonably interpreted as where the path leads (i.e. the destination).

-- ghunchu'wI'